The Old World is the first playable region in Anno 1800, which is based on Europe in the 19th century. Every game starts in the Old World, which should be a place of residence for majority of your population. There you can create big European cities based on industrialisation and new technologies invented in the 19th century.
As every region, the Old World consists of multiple handcrafted islands of varying sizes, fertilities and resources. Islands characteristics and arrangement depends on game settings chosen when creating the game.
Besides yourself and other expanding players (either AI or human) some neutral traders and pirates can also be located in the Old World. Each of them settles a separate special island. Sir Archibald Blake is always present in the Old World while the presence of Madame Kahina, Eli Bleakworth and Anne Harlow is optional.
Population in the Old World is divided into six tiers:
- Scholars (requires Land of Lions DLC)
- Tourists (requires Tourist Season DLC)
First two tiers require many crop and animal farms to satisfy their needs but higher tiers depend mainly on industrialisation, heavy industry and mined resources.
Final products which can be produced in the Old World are:
- Reinforced concrete
- Advanced weapons
- Penny farthings (requires Caoutchouc from the New World)
- Steam motors
- Pocket watches (requires Gold Ore from the New World)
- Light bulbs
- Jewellery (requires Pearls and Gold Ore from the New World)
- Steam carriages (requires Caoutchouc from the New World)
- Leather Boots (requires Sanga Cow from Enbesa)
- Tailored Suits (requires Cotton Fabric from the New World and Linen from Enbesa)
- Cotton Fabric
Relation with other regions
There are several goods which are required in the Old World but might or have to be produced in other regions.
Goods needed from the New World:
- Cotton fabric, for fur coats (if not produced with Advanced Cotton Mill)
- Rum (if not produced with Advanced Rum Distillery)
- Coffee (if not produced with Advanced Coffee Roaster)
- Gold Ore, for pocket watches and jewellery
- Oil, for power plants
- Caoutchouc, for penny farthings and steam carriages
- Pearls, for jewellery
- Sanga Cow, for Leather Boots
- Linen, for Tailored Suits
- Hibiscus Tea
- Seafood Stew
- Clay Pipes
Some goods which are produced in the Old World are also required in other regions.
Goods needed in New World:
Goods needed in the Arctic (The Passage DLC):
- Brass, for oil lamps
- Canned Food
- Cement, for Airship Hangar
- Sails, for Airship Hangar and Airships
- Steam Motors, for Airship Hangar and Airships
Goods needed in Enbesa (Land of Lions DLC):
Except for goods mentioned above, also many construction materials which can be produced only in Old World are required in other regions. Those materials are:
- Steel Beams
- Reinforced Concrete
- Steam Motors, for tractor barns (requires Bright Harvest DLC)