Items are special upgrades which can affect your ships, population, production, trading capabilities or island’s attractiveness rating. They are useful only when equipped in special item slots which can be found in:
- Harbourmaster's Offices – they improve your harbour buildings, such as coastal defences, public moorings or fisheries; 3 item slots
- Museums – exhibits increase the attractiveness rating of your island; 1 item slot per module
- Ships – they can boost almost all their statistics such as speed, damage or cargo slowdown; number of item slots differs depending on the type of ship
- Town Halls – they have an impact on your residents or public buildings; 3 item slots
- Trade Unions – they boost your production buildings; 3 item slots
- Zoos – animals increase the attractiveness rating of your island; 1 item slot per module
- Botanical Gardens - plants increase the attractiveness rating of your island; 1 item slot per module
During expeditions ships can also benefit from items (of all types) placed in cargo slots as many items provide expedition buffs, which are active even if items aren’t equipped in item slots (however, then they occupy cargo slots thus decreasing amount of goods which can be taken for an expedition).
Number of items you can use is limited by the amount of ships, optimisation buildings and zoo and museum modules you can build, which is controlled by influence.
Types of items
All items can be used only in one place which every item is assigned to. A trade union item is useless on a ship (except during expeditions). Because of that items are naturally divided into types based on the place they can be used in.
Items are also divided based on their rarity. Common items provide minor advantages but are very cheap and easy to obtain, while legendary items can be extremely powerful but also very hard to get and some legendary items might be obtained only in specific ways. Every item has its own rarity rating which is also indicated by an item’s colour:
- common - white/grey
- uncommon - green
- rare - blue
- epic - purple
- legendary - orange
There is also one unusual item type: character items. They have no use, they only tell some little stories about in-game characters or your citizens. You can often obtain them by doing residents quests.
To equip and use an item, first it has to be transferred onto a ship’s board or into an island’s trading post. Then you have to select the ship or a building you want to use an item in, and after clicking on a plus symbol on an item slot, you can choose which item to equip.
In case of zoos and museums you need to build modules first, then you can add items into particular modules by clicking on them and then on the item slot.